An analysis of female genital mutilation
Female genital mutilation (fgm), also known as female genital cutting and female circumcision, is the ritual cutting or removal of some or all of the external female. Female genital mutilation: analysis of the first twelve months of a southeast london specialist clinic female genital mutilation is defined as the excision or. Female genital cutting: current practices and beliefs in western africa for analysis, this variable was eliminating female genital mutilation. Female genital mutilation/cutting (fgm/c) is a traditional practice that involves intentional removal of some or all of the external female genitalia for non-therapeutic purposes and with no health benefits for females. Female genital mutilation of the female external genitalia or other injury to the female genital organs for non analysis of the data reflects. Slapping the hand of cultural relativism: female genital mutilation, male dominance, and health as a human rights framework preston d mitchum introduction i female genital mutilation: risk of complications and.
Browse female genital mutilation news, research and analysis from the conversation. Obstetrics and gynecology international is a peer-reviewed an updated systematic review and meta-analysis of the obstetric female genital mutilation. In my first blog post, i briefly mentioned female genital mutilation in egypt i feel that it’s important to speak about the sick procedure for two reasons: first, female genital mutilation is a largely sexist act that can lead to serious long-term physical, and mental, health consequences second. Female genital mutilation, or fgm, has become one of the most monstrous issues facing young women around the world today fgm is preformed on young girls to prevent a women’s potential promiscuity.
I had experienced female genital mutilation, but it had been so traumatic that i had actually blocked it out or hidden it somewhere in my memory analysis: the. Cornell international law journal volume 31 issue 21998 article 1 contending with culture: an analysis of the female genital mutilation act of 1996 erika sussman. Eliminating female genital mutilation female genital mutilation comprises all procedures involving partial or total removal of the external female genitalia or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons (who, unicef, unfpa, 1997) the who/unicef/unfpa joint statement classified female genital mutilation into four.
Combating female genital mutilation in europe a comparative analysis of legislative and preventative tools in the netherlands, france, the united kingdom, and austria. Nitalia or other injury to the female genital organs whether for cultural female genital mutilation: an analysis of 522 cases in south-western nigeria.
Research open access bibliometric analysis of literature on female genital mutilation: (1930 – 2015) waleed m sweileh abstract background: female genital mutilation/cutting (fgm/c) is acommon harmful traditional practice in many. Women and girls at risk of female genital mutilation/cutting in the united states and donna clifton at prb for their assistance with the data analysis.
An analysis of female genital mutilation
Female genital mutilation (fgm) is the practice of partially or totally removing the external genital organs analysis 9 2 a demographic overview. To study female genital mutilation and its effect on female sexual function, alexandria, egypt 2013 methods a case–control study was conducted on a convenient sample of 272 circumcised women with their 272 control from 4. Between 100 million and 140 million women and girls are thought to be living with the consequences of female genital mutilation, according to the world health organisation fgm is defined by the who as all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the external female genitalia, or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical.
- The number of women and girls at risk for female genital mutilation (fgm) in the united states has more than doubled in the past 10 years, according to new figures released on friday the data, the first on fgm in the us for a decade, is being published to coincide with the united nations.
- Eliminating female genital mutilation an interagency statement (pdf, 211 mb) united nations children's fund (unicef) (2013) female genital mutilation/cutting: a statistical overview and exploration of the dynamics of change (pdf, 227 mb) united nations population fund frequently asked questions on female genital mutilation/cutting.
- Female genital mutilation/cutting: in the 29 countries where the practice is concentrated analysis of the data reflects current perspectives on fgm/c.
- This report explores female genital mutilation (fgm) practices, evaluates approaches to abandoning the practice, describes the roles of various stakeholders in the abandonment process, and shares lessons learned from fgm abandonment programs print copies are not available some digital files may be.
- Female genital mutilation (fgm) comprises all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the external female genitalia, or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons the practice is mostly carried out by traditional circumcisers, who often play other central roles in communities, such as attending childbirths.
Studies on healthcare providers’ awareness, knowledge and attitudes regarding female genital mutilation (fgm) have shown a lack of awareness of the prevalence, diagnosis, and management of fgm our objective was to systematically review the literature on interventions improving healthcare providers’ capacities of prevention and treatment of. Female genital mutilation/cutting unicef standardizing indicators for situation analysis and monitoring progress early and forced marriage and female genital. Female genital mutilation in africa: an analysis of current abandonment approaches this report explores female genital mutilation (fgm) practices, evaluates approaches to abandoning the practice, describes the roles of various stakeholders in the abandonment process, and shares lessons learned from fgm abandonment programs. To investigate the association between type of episiotomy and obstetric outcomes among 6,187 women with type 3 female genital mutilation (fgm) we conducted a secondary analysis of women presenting in labor to 28 obstetric centres in burkina faso, ghana, kenya, nigeria, senegal and sudan between. By providing a statistical analysis and background female genital mutilation/cutting the female genital mutilation: female genital. Female genital mutilation in africa an analysis of current abandonment approaches december 2005 acs plaza, 4th floor, lenana road po box 76634, nairobi, 00508. Objective worldwide, an estimated 125 million girls and women live with female genital mutilation/cutting (fgm/c) we aimed to systematically review the evidence for physical health risks associated with fgm/c design we searched 15 databases to identify studies (up to january 2012.